Startup Lawyer Toronto
Roberts & Obradovic Law is a Toronto-based law firm with a team of skilled startup lawyers who can assist you in establishing your business effectively. Our lawyers possess extensive experience and expertise in dealing with the distinctive challenges associated with starting a new business venture.
Our lawyers can also provide entrepreneurs with valuable legal advice to help them protect their business interests, ranging from protection of intellectual property, to shareholder agreements, and providing share incentives to your employees. Contact one of our startup lawyers in Toronto online and get the best legal representation for your business.
The Benefits of Hiring a Startup Lawyer
In the early stages of a startup, entrepreneurs tend to neglect the importance of creating the appropriate legal structure for their business and ensuring that all the required legal documents are in place. Neglecting to take these steps can frequently lead to expensive repercussions in the future. Consulting with an experienced legal professional with expertise in startups is an initial and vital step in launching your business. Our Toronto-based startup lawyers possess the expertise to offer valuable legal guidance. Our law firm can provide the following services:
- Prepare Shareholder Agreements
- Draft Articles of Incorporation and Corporate By-Laws
- Employment Contracts
- Vendor Agreements
- Privacy and Data Security
- Corporate Structure
- Subscription Agreements
- Intellectual Property
- Website Terms and Conditions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Assignment Agreement
- Consultancy Agreement
- Founder’s Agreement
- Partnership Agreement
- Stock Options Plans
- Non-Disclosure AgreementsOffice and Lease Agreements
- Technology Contracts
- E-Commerce Agreement
- Exclusivity Agreement
- License Agreement
- Joint Venture Agreement
- Data Privacy Disclosure
- Independent Contractor Agreement
Avoiding Costly Legal Mistakes
Startups often face a variety of legal risks that can have serious consequences for the business. As a new business venture, it is important to be aware of and take measures to mitigate these risks. Some common legal risks for startups include:
- Contract Law: Startups need to ensure that they have well-drafted contracts that protects the interest of their business. The contracts need to clearly outline the rights and responsibilities of the parties involved. An experienced business lawyer can draft, review, and negotiate the terms of a contract with your vendors, customers, and other parties.
- Shareholder Compliance: Shareholder disputes often arise from unclear and misunderstood shareholder agreements. A well written shareholder agreement will establish the rights and responsibilities of all the shareholders in the startup, set out how company will be managed, and outlines the process for how disputes and other potential legal scenarios will be resolved.
- Employment Law: It is important for startups to have well-drafted employment agreements in place when hiring employees. The employment agreement will outline the rights and obligations of both the business and employee, thereby ensuring that both parties have a clear understanding of what is expected. The employment agreement also need to comply the Employment Standards Act, 2000, which outlines the minimum standards for employment in the province.
- Employee Incentives: Employee incentives are an important component of startups, serving as a valuable tool for both attracting top talent and inspiring team members to contribute to the company’s growth. Incentives may come in various forms, such as bonuses, stock options, profit-sharing, and flexible work arrangements. However, it is essential to ensure that the incentive agreement is carefully crafted and complies with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Intellectual Property: Startups often have unique innovative ideas and these innovative ideas will need prompt legal protection. Our lawyers at Roberts & Obradovic Law are trained in intellectual property matters, which will include the registration and enforcement of intellectual property rights. For this purpose, contact our intellectual property specialists who are knowledgeable in copyright, trademark, and patent law.
- Privacy and Data Security: Privacy and cybersecurity risks should be a significant concern for startups. It is important for startups to adopt appropriate legal measures to safeguard against any potential data breach or cyber-attack.
Contact a Toronto Startup Lawyer
Toronto ranked seventeenth in the top forty cities globally to establish a startup. This means that Toronto is one of the best places for entrepreneurs to start a business. Our team of Toronto lawyers are here to support you every step of the way, from incorporating to employment contracts. We are passionate about helping entrepreneurs start and grow their business in Toronto, and supporting innovation worldwide.